Choosing the right stair treads for industrial or workplace applications can be a difficult process. There are many designs and types available to fulfil different needs. However, not knowing the right staircase treads can prove costly if changes are needed later.
Weldlok offers a wide range of stair treads to meet your industrial, commercial or workplace needs. They range from aluminium, and stainless steel to fibre-reinforced plastic.
What are Stair Treads?
Stair treads are the horizontal part of the stairs that people step on and use to walk up the staircase. A tread can be composed of many different materials depending on application and aesthetics such as wood, plastic, steel, aluminium, concrete, and many more products and materials.
Stair treads in industrial areas should be designed to withstand high impact. They should be anti-slip and durable to ensure safety. Therefore, you need to choose stair treads that are structurally robust and sound, following Australian standards. Otherwise, a small misstep during work can result in a serious accident.
Benefits of Aluminium Stair Treads
Aluminium stair treads provide a wide range of benefits, as listed below:
- One of the most effective types of stair treads as they can withstand harsh climates
- They are rust-resistant, making them ideal for outdoor and industrial use
- They are lightweight, which saves time and energy for transport and fitting
- Visually pleasing and enhances aesthetics of stairs
Regulations Related to Stair Treads
Stairs should be standard and consistent in all places to avoid workplace accidents. People should be able to step on them to work smoothly and confidently. Adhering to the Australian regulations under the various building codes is a must. Our team at Weldlok can assist with navigating the right tread selection for your project.
This can include ensuring the correct minimum or maximum rise, and depth and going for treads, along with other standards related to steps, access systems and walkways.
- AS1657:2018 sets out details regarding compliance including where and how nosing of the tread should be clearly seen against the background of the stair treads.
Selecting the Right Stair Treads
Some of the factors that you need to consider when selecting the aluminium staircase treads are as follows:
- Choosing aluminium stair treads is ideal if weight is an important factor to be considered in the space
- If the stairs need to be repositioned in the future, lightweight aluminium stair treads are ideal
- Food processing plants use aluminium stair treads due to their hygienic properties
- They can be easily fabricated into specific non-standard shapes which is ideal for customised requirements
- They have anti-slip properties making them suitable for use in high-traffic areas
Achieve High Safety by Choosing the Right Stair Treads
Weldlok manufactures stair treads and stair nosing that fit your safety needs complying with AS1657. There are a variety of aluminium staircase treads available, which are customisable as follows:
- Bolt-in or weld-in aluminium stair treads
- Plain or serrated finishing
- Including or excluding nosing
- In-built yellow abrasive nosing or floor plate nosing
The Weldlok staircase treads are made with the following recommended dimensions:
- The thickness of the stair treads ranges from 25mm to 40mm
- Depths range between 245mm to 285mm
- Standard lengths vary between 600mm, 750mm, 900mm, and 1200mm.
Ready to choose the right stair treads? Contact us to get started, and we will help you select the ideal staircase treads according to your needs.